Monday, February 11, 2008

Warming Up Swatchy Contest

Brrr! It is *freezing* here. Literally. Actually, if it were only freezing, it wouldn't be a problem. However, when the windchill brings the temperature down to below -40 (F or C, it's all the same at -40), all we want to do here is snuggle in a warm blanket, in front of a crackling fire, with a mug of hot chocolate. However, Noricum has to work, and she drags me along with her. *shudder*

So, we decided to have a contest. I, Swatchy, want to be somewhere sunny and warm. (The warmer the better!) Since I'm stuck here with Noricum, I've decided to do some virtual travelling, and that's where this contest comes in. Please send me somewhere warm! Photoshop me into one of your vacation photos (or a photo that you have permission to use), and we'll send one winner a fantastic prize we picked up at the Manitoba Crafts Museum.

We're going to ask Knittah to be the judge and pick her favourite photograph (this blog is here for her, after all), unless, of course, she'd like to enter herself. ;) (Or if picking a winner is too much for her limited energy. If she doesn't want to do it for whatever reason, we'll decide on a different judge.)

To enter, leave a comment with a link to your photo, or e-mail it to Noricum. She'll make a post with all the entries after the deadline so that Knittah (or whoever) can pick the winner.

So, what is this fantastic prize, you ask? It's a hilarious used book from 1935 that we got for $1:
IMG_3294
It contains valuable information, such as how to clean and repair furs, and gems such as a pattern for this stylin' fur tie:
IMG_3297
I bet you didn't know that both skunk and opossum are very hard wearing furs? Or that antelope "is one of the most attractive furs for sports wear. The flat set of the fur is so distinctive and slimming."

After hearing what can be found in this book, you may want to keep your eyes open for some of their other titles:
IMG_3295

Deadline: please submit your entries before the end of February. (Noricum decided that we'd give you the rest of February, since this is her birth month.)

Cheers,
Swatchy

PS: If someone would like to add to the prizes, feel free!

6 comments:

Knittah said...

Great idea, Swatchy! I'm jealous, because that book looks HILARIOUS.

However, in the spirit of things, I will personally add one skein of sock yarn to the prize package. I don't know which skein, yet. But I just reorganized my stash, and I've got some good ones! (hands off my Wollmeise though)

I'll post a picture of the prize yarn this week.

Love, Knittah

noricum said...

I'm still jealous that you scored Wollmeise. ;)

Dandy said...

I posted a pic on my blog...

Knittah said...

Great pic, Dandy! Sunshine and kitty - way to go!

P.S. That was not a judging comment, just a hurray comment. I can't wait to see everyone's pictures!

magnusmog said...

Photo now on my blog too - wish it was sunny here.....

Anonymous said...

I've revealed all on my blog!