Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Papierosy... spirytus...

Howdy Knittah!

It's been fairly quiet around here - I've been exploring Bialystok, but it's a small city, so it doesn't take too long to get around.
























We've been doing some shopping around town, and I've been to most of the bazaars already. You can buy all kinds of stuff here - all sorts of foods, clothing, fabrics.. I haven't seen any yarn, but there has been string and twine.














On Friday it's supposed to be busier, so we'll be heading back to see what else is there. A few years ago, there used to be quite a few people coming in from Belarus, and they had interesting (though not necessarily high-quality goods) to sell. Nowadays there are mostly just Polish folk selling their wares, and random men and women muttering "papierosy... spirytus... papierosy" under their breath. I think it's illegal to buy cigarettes and pure alcohol outside of a proper store here.

Speaking of alcohol, we haven't been going out to pubs much, but we did go to the beer store. I wasn't drunk though, I was just tired and felt like having a nap.
























Tomorrow we're going to a large French chain store called Auchan, maybe we'll find something fun?

1 comment:

Knittah said...

Be careful about that beer, Not So Swatchy!

But oh, to be in a European city. Sigh. I love Europe. The only place I've been too is France, but I always dreamed of touring the entire region!