Thursday, October 05, 2006

Knittah Speaks

The Travels with Swatchy blog was born from an idea of Noricum's. She contacted me after hearing my essay on Episode 34 of Cast-On, a podcast for knitters. But to understand this, you'll have to take a couple steps back with me.

Twelve years ago, I was an attorney at a large firm. Only one year into my career, I fell ill. It seemed like the flu. Then the doctor said it was mononucleosis. Every time I went to see him, he would tell me that I would feel much better in a couple weeks. It never happened. I was eventually diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, aka Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome, ala Myalgic Encephamyelitis. Thus began my new life with CFIDS.

CFIDS is a so-called "invisible" illness, because if you looked at me, you would think I was perfectly healthy. But CFIDS is not invisible to the people who have it or their loved ones. I am housebound, as I can no longer drive or use public transportation. I can only sustain a few hours of activity a day, including using the computer. But this blog is not going to be about my physical symptoms.

I wrote and recorded the essay for Cast-On in order to give voice to the life of disabled knitters, or at least my own experience. Knitting has become very important to me, as it is a meaningful activity that fits within my limitations. I am so grateful to Brenda Dayne for airing my essay, and equally grateful to the listeners who took the time to email me.

Noricum is one such listener. We have never met, but she offered to carry a swatch knitted by me out into the world and take pictures of it for our blogs. After some thought, we agreed to create this blog together.

Swatchy will travel with Noricum to places I cannot go because of CFIDS. I don't know where Noricum will take him: what cities? yarn shops? wool festivals? I can't wait to see. I hope you'll join me in following along with the Travels of Swatchy.

No comments: