Thursday, January 25, 2007

Santa Rosa

Dear Swatchy,

After goofing around on the beach and in the forest, we went to Santa Rosa National Park, about an hour away from the beach.

hacienda
The park is famous as the site of La Casona, which is the hacienda in the picture. That’s where the Costa Ricans defeated an American mercenary named William Walker in 1856.
mcswatchysteps
Here I am on the steps of the hacienda.

mcswatchyrocks
There are also some historic corrals nearby. The rock wall was nice and cool.
mcswatchyrock2

After we checked out the hacienda, we hiked around in the forest for awhile. Can you see me in this picture?
mcswatchyhike

tree
Isn't that the coolest tree trunk? I forgot to ask Knittah's Dad what kind of tree it is. He was too intent on the historical plaques.
mcswatchyorlich

While we were in the forest we saw a coati. They’re kind of like squirrels, but bigger. They are everywhere, and will do anything to get to food.
kuati
To be honest, Swatchy, they scared me a little. What if one of them had grabbed me and run off? I'd still be in the forest somewhere!

Love, McSwatchy

No comments: